Maho Tent Cottages
Although Maho Bay Camps is probably the most highly praised ecotourism destination in the world, we had modest beginnings. In 1976, we built 18 tent-cottages on 16 foot square platforms in the Virgin Islands National Park using hand construction methods which left the natural environment virtually undisturbed. The platforms were connected by elevated walkways to avoid soil erosion which endangers the beach and fragile coral. This sensitive land use stimulated an explosion of favorable press which has encouraged our growth to 114 units, connected by an extensive network of stairs and boardwalks.
Now we are celebrating over 33 years of an improved local environment as a result of this sensitive and sustainable development. We are encouraged by our growing popularity in a culture which is becoming more aware of the importance of preserving nature's precious gifts.
Maho Bay Camps consists of wooden walkways connected with many, MANY steps. It is important that all guests bring their own flashlights to maneuver the steps at night.
The roomy tent-cottages are nearly hidden by lush foliage providing privacy. Translucent fabric on wood frames, screened windows and open air terraces take advantage of the cooling island tradewinds. Each has a separate sleeping area with comfortable twin beds and an extra mattress behind the sleeping-couch in the living area. Linens, blankets, towels, cooking and eating utensils are all provided, including propane stove and ice cooler. Every tent-cottage has its own private deck, electric outlets, lights and fans. Barbecue areas and fresh water are available along the walkways.
Our secluded white sand beach and year-round tropical climate offer a variety of popular water sports (with expert instruction available) including kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, snorkeling and scuba diving. Massage, yoga, National Park presentations, weddings, live music and other activities are available. Glassblowing demonstrations are a popular activity with mesmerized guests watching beautiful glasswork being made from crushed bottles in our Trash to Treasure Art Center.
So there is something for everyone, we also offer an array of classes for both adults and children that include a number of craft areas such as fabric batik, ceramics, glass blowing, watercolor painting, and paper making — and each class demonstrates an aspect of creating art out of recycled materials.
The immediate area around Maho Bay Camps has beautiful hiking trails including walks to historic plantation ruins. The town of Cruz Bay offers active night life within half an hour via local taxi service.
Conveniently located bathhouses are equipped with modern, low-flush toilets and cool water pull-chain showers connected to a recycling system which irrigates the surrounding vegetation.
The outdoor restaurant on one of the two large pavilions, serves breakfast and dinner every day with a variety of healthful meals, including at least one vegetarian entree. The dining area has one of the Virgin Islands' most unforgettable views, especially at sunset.
The Maho Bay Store is stocked with frozen foods, some produce, canned goods, breads, dairy, juices, soft drinks, beer, wine and various sundries and boutique items such as sunscreen, insect repellent, recycled paper products, etc.
Our free "help-yourself" center where departing guests leave books, sunscreen, staples and other items is a convenient recycling center for newcomers.
See the new Maho blog at MahoBayCamps.blogspot.com.
To view a video introduction to the Maho Bay eco-resort, please select your Internet connection speed below.
Rates For Maho Bay Camps
May 1, 2012 - December 14, 2012:
- $85 / night, double occupancy.
Additional guests $12 / night.
- Families enjoy the "Kids Stay Free" program for children under 16, when accompanied by an adult.
- Single travelers will receive a 25% discount on tent-cottage rates - singles pay only $63.75 per night.
December 15, 2012 - May 15, 2013:
- $145 / night, double occupancy.
- Additional guests: $15 / person / night.
A 7-night minimum stay is required ONLY during these holidays:
- Christmas/New Years — Arrival or departure during December 24, 2012 - January 3, 2013
- Presidents — Arrival or departure during February 18 - 26, 2013
- Easter — Arrival or departure during March 26 - April 3, 2013
- Guaranteed with a 50% deposit. Rates do not include 10% USVI tax or $30 refundable deposit.
- VISA and MasterCard credit cards are accepted.
- Call Toll Free 1-800-392-9004 or Check Availability & Book On-line!
- Please do not cancel existing reservation by email.
- For additional information send email.
Please see the Getting Here page.
Cancellation Policy for Maho Tent Cottages:
- Cancellation up to 2-weeks prior to arrival: 10% of total stay will be withheld (low season cancellations only may be used towards a future stay before May 15, 2013).
- Cancellation within 2 weeks of arrival: the full 50 deposit will be withheld (low season cancellations only may be used towards a future stay before May 15, 2013).
- Early Departure Forfeiture: For December 15, 2012 - May 15, 2013 two nights penalty and for May 1, 2012 - December 14, 2012 is $10.00 a day.